Conor McGregor had challenged UFC welterweight champion, Kamaru Usman. The Nigerian fighter immediately claimed he could retire.
McGregor will face Donald Cerrone in Las Vegas, January 18, in the UFC welterweight duel. For the third time, The Notorious appeared in the class.
McGregor’s two previous welterweight battles were played against Nate Diaz in 2016. Had lost in the first duel, McGregor was able to respond when rematched.
Ahead of facing Cerrone, McGregor was eager to find new opponents in the 170-pound class. He also mentioned two names, namely Jorge Masvidal and Kamaru Usman, welterweight champions. Usman, nicknamed The Nigerian Nightmare, thinks McGregor is no match for him.
“I don’t think it will. Too much strength for him, anything can happen. A fight is a fight. But right, it is not very suitable. I think I will really hurt him,” Usman said, to MMAFighting.com.
‘That is, we all see what Khabib did to him. He needed time after fighting Khabib. Now try to imagine him facing me. I don’t think we will ever see him returning to this sport,’ Usman said.
Previously Usman had also responded to McGregor’s comments via social media. He called McGregor’s dream of becoming a welterweight champion turning into a nightmare.
The fight against Cerrone became McGregor’s first duel, after being defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov in 2018. Cerrone, who was nicknamed The Cowboys, had a record of 36 wins, 13 defeats and one no contest.