Kevin Magnussen has alternative plans for the year 2022 with Peugeot Sport. The French manufacturer has hired a very interesting set of drivers, and Magnussen is one of them. They will focus on their return to the World Championship and Le Mans.
Peugeot, the French Lion, made headlines announcing their “Magnificent Seven”. It’s going to be a – ‘Seven Driver, One Team’ concept.
It is a mix of youth and speed. Kevin Magnussen, Paul di Resta, Jean-Éric Vergne, Loïc Duval, Gustavo Menezes, and Mikkel Jensen will form the crew who will drive. While Rossiter is in the reserve, he is also going to take care of the simulator.
Peugeot made announcements last year in December about their car. The Powertrain will power their machine called Peugeot Hybrid4. It is a hybrid technology combining a 2.6-liter 500 kW (680 hp) twin-turbo V6 engine in the rear. Another 200 kW electric one fixed at the front. Their battery will be developed together with Saft. It is a subsidiary of Total Company.
— Peugeot Sport (@peugeotsport) February 8, 2021
Kevin Magnussen wants to win
Magnussen recently made his debut at the Rolex 24 at Daytona. His primary business in 2021 is with Chip Ganassi, speeding in the IMSA Weather Tech SportsCar Championship. The new chapter with Peugeot will open as he will move ahead with the career instead of reopening the F1 chapter. This move has definitely shunned all the possibilities of a HASS return.
“It was not a difficult decision to join Peugeot, given their success in the past, not only in Le Mans but also in motorsport in general. I think it’s easy to be motivated considering the great results achieved by Peugeot at Le Mans: my ambition is to achieve success and win.” Magnussen said.
Very happy to announce that I’ll be racing with @peugeotsport from 2022. I am very much looking forward to start preparing for this journey. The success @Peugeot has had at Le Mans and many other forms of Motorsport means expectations are very high. Let’s do this! 👊🏼 pic.twitter.com/87vIWe8xC1
— Kevin Magnussen (@KevinMagnussen) February 8, 2021
Interestingly, apart from Magnussen, the team of seven drivers comprises two more ex-Formula One drivers. Jean-Eric Vergne worked with Toro Rosso. He then moved on to find the breakthrough in Formula E, acquiring back-to-back titles from 2017 to 2019.
Paul di Resta is also an ex-Formula One driver. The Scotsman raced with Force India and also made a single appearance for Williams. He also moved on to Le Mans. Competing in the LMP2 class with United Autosports over the past three seasons, he finally won in 2020.
Vergne thinks, the project is a safe shot, “I think historically it will be nice to have Peugeot race at Le Mans with a French driver. It will be really wonderful.”
“The motivation came to me thinking of the story that Peugeot wrote in the last endurance adventure faced with great professionalism.” Paul di Resta conveyed.
What Peugeot has to say
The management explained the motive behind Peugeot’s team composition. Since 2011, Peugeot’s absence from endurance meant they had to assemble its lineup from scratch.
“The quality of the relationship between all those involved in the project is fundamental. The main criteria we looked at were the bonds they have between them, their state of mind and their ability to work together to motivate and help the team progress. This is because the human factor plays a very important role in Endurance racing “. Stellantis Motorsport Director Jean-Marc Finot said.
Olivier Jansonnie, who is the Peugeot Sport’s technical director of the WEC project, added, “We looked at all the endurance racing championships organized over the past five years. We didn’t just take into account individual results. We also looked at speed, consistency. and the reliability of a long list of riders, because we are looking for a group that marries well, with an eclectic combination of young people and industry experts with proven development skills, particularly in the hybrid powertrain sector.”
7 ingredients for Peugeot's recipe for success. @FIAWEC @24hoursoflemans @peugeotsport @TotalRacingENG @KevinMagnussen @loicduval @JeanEricVergne @PaulDiResta @MikkelhJensen @followgustavo @Rossiterracing pic.twitter.com/yc7lF0j8hv
— Peugeot (@Peugeot) February 8, 2021
Not a substitute driver
Formula One is under the constant threat of the global pandemic. Many drivers tested positive in 2020. The presence of a reserve driver for teams has become more important than ever.
Racing Point drafted Nico Hulkenberg three times after Sergio Perez incurred COVID-19. Hence, the Mexican racer missed both rounds at Silverstone.
Lance Stroll was forced out of Eifel Grand Prix after testing positive. George Russell also made his debut in Mercedes right after Sir Lewis Hamilton returned a positive test before the Sakhir Grand Prix. Further, Russell’s Mercedes venture opened the opportunity for Jack Aitken at Williams.
Teams not only called their reserves due to COVID. Grosjean’s horror crash in Bahrain got Pietro Fittipaldi to contest in the last two rounds of the season with Haas.
“I think we should always have a third driver this year like we did last year, because of COVID. You never know when it hits. And this is the case when you need a reserve on the track.” Steiner confirmed that HASS plans to have a reserve in place on race weekends.
“There is no rush, we are talking to Pietro, of course, but neither of us is under pressure to conclude the agreement.” He added.
HASS team chief is still on good terms with the experienced couple, Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean.
“I actually texted Romain recently because I had to ask him something, I talked to Kevin last weekend when he was in Daytona. So I’m very happy for them.”
“And as always said, we separated, but I think that in life we can always work together without problems. It is clear that they were not happy with the choice, but not so sad.
“All good things end in life, this was one of them, but we continue to keep our relationship alive and I’m very happy that both of us continue to do what they like to do.”
After seven seasons in Formula One, driving important single-seaters such as Mc Laren, Renault, and Haas, Kevin Magnussen is not thinking about Formula One anymore. Magnussen is certain about him not returning to F1,” If Mercedes were to ask me if I want to drive, I think everyone would look at it very seriously. But I gave F1 a chance, I think I did my best to try and be successful. I did and I feel ready to go elsewhere and win something again, that’s really where I am now. ”
“ Formula 1 is a closed chapter for me, probably. I was able to have the honour of racing with the Haas team and for Guenther Steiner, who remains my friend and will always advise me, but I am not interested in being a one-time reserve driver for the team in case the owners cannot race. “ he explained to the Danish newspaper.
After Kevin Magnussen posted about Lion’s line-up for the Hypercar project. He made it clear about not entertaining the thought of being a reserve driver.
“Gunther is a good friend, as are many people in the Haas team, but any talk of racing, like a one-off race, doesn’t interest me at the moment,” explained Magnussen.
“I prefer to be completely focused on what I’m doing and I miss winning. I’ve done seven years of F1, doing another race as a reserve I don’t think is that interesting.”
“I continued to grow as a driver even though the results in Haas weren’t so good. Now I have the experience, I feel ready for another step and the one with Peugeot is perfect for me.” Kevin Magnussen stressed his ambition in improving as a driver for a better future.