Connect with us

Boxing

“Now we have something outside the box”, Eddie Hearn announces Dillian Whyte’s rematch date with Povetkin

Eddie Hearn

Alexander Povetkin vs. Dillian Whyte fight was scheduled to take place on March 6, 2021. However, the boxing battle got rescheduled for March 27 due to the UK Government’s recent COVID restrictions.

Previously, promoter Eddie Hearn gave a hint about the postponement while talking to the iFL TV; he said“There is a chance it could be delayed.”

“I don’t think it will be, the main thing is to get Dillian Whyte out of Portugal. It looks like tomorrow that may happen.”

“[Portugal is] on the red list and the issue we’re having is the government won’t allow Dillian Whyte to isolate in the bubble, he has to isolate in a government hotel.”

“That is impossible for Dillian Whyte to do. He could go to Spain, for example, and isolate there for ten days, and then fly in on fight week.

“That’s what we’re putting into place at the moment. Small chance it could be pushed back [three] weeks to March 27, but that’s not the intention.”

“It’s our intention to do everything we can to make sure March 6 stays intact.”

The hint becomes real when Hearn tweeted yesterday: “Sometimes you gotta think outside the box! Get ready for a crazy event March 27 in Gibraltar!!! #PovetkinWhyte2”

Why Eddie Hearn changed the date?

Whyte is currently training out in Portugal, and it is in the “red list” zone by the UK government. As per the UK government’s rule, Whyte will need to quarantine in a hotel for ten days before return to Britain. However, this rule is technically impossible to follow. And that is why Hearn needed to find a place where they don’t need to follow the quarantine restriction.

As a result, Hearn chooses Gibraltar as the venue as Whyte won’t face the same restrictions as the UK.

Hearn explains the situation to ESPN, “In the current environment we are always having to think on our feet,” Matchroom Sports managing director Eddie Hearn said. “We did everything to try and make March 6 happen, but with the new travel restrictions it was impossible. Now we have something outside the box, compelling, and a unique setting for one of the heavyweight fights of the year.”

Alexander Povetkin vs. Dillian Whyte first fight

Dillian Whyte

Whyte was KO’d by Russian heavyweight Povetkin in August Credit: Mark Robinson Photography Ltd

In their first fight on August 22, 2020, Dillian Whyte was brutally KO’d just 30 seconds into round five. However, the 32-year-old Whyte had completely controlled the fight. But, he lost control when Povetkin smashed a perfectly executed left uppercut that ended his hopes in a flash.

After that unexpected loss, Whyte immediately called for a rematch, and Eddie Hearn confirmed that on August 23, 2020. But the date was not announced due to the pandemic.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Boxing